Development of Dafang ancient village in rural China.
In 2018 IVEM was invited by the People’s Government of JinXi County to help revitalize the historic countryside. And re-develop one of the many villages into an example for other villages.
Phase 1. Development of physical space of one selected village (Dafang) for adaptive re-use.
- Create a landmark building that can be used as an icon in marketing,
- Create a cluster of attractive and flexible spaces where Chinese and Dutch creatives from different fields can work together,
- Connect Dafang village to the nearby villages with a network of bicycle roads,
- Create overnight stay capacity in or near the village aimed at millennials,
- Create a village museum that clarifies the story of the traditional, rural country-life in JinXi county and that will function as a starting point for touristic tours to the other villages.
Dafang Village as it was in 2018
IVEM’s role :
– Visualise the marketing opportunities for cultural heritage
– Formulating brand and marketing strategy
– Defining and designing the visual identity
– Bringing together the required expertise and human capacity
– The (long-term) project organisation and programming
Architecture & landscape design (September 2018 – January 2019)
Chinese documentary on phase 1
Program December / January 2020
– Opening festival: Twelve artists, Dutch & Chinese, will fit their installations into the village’s physical and social structure.